Are you a software engineer with a passion for Optimization/numerical mathematics? Or maybe you are a Mathematical Optimization expert that has a strong interest in the implementation as well as the theory? If so, read on.
If you are interested in working for a long-successful company that feels like a start-up, NAG could be the company for you! Founded over 50 years ago, we are now transforming and growing, and looking for a creative, driven Software Engineer to come and take a role in developing both existing and new Optimization software solutions.
The successful applicant will:
- Develop and maintain (testing, benchmarking, bug-fixing) existing optimization software in the NAG libraries.
- Implement and prototype models/applications for industries such as energy and engineering, based on the optimization solvers in the NAG Libraries.
- Work closely with marketing and product teams to deliver high quality solutions for customers in various industries.
- Help customers as part of NAG’s support service.
- Have regular contact with collaborators from industry and academic institutions.
- Provide project advice and implement a range of solvers for clients.
NAG employees work flexibly with location and work hours suited to the employee and their team. If you prefer working around colleagues, we have an office in central Oxford. Otherwise, you can be one of our many staff that prefer working from their own home. We have mastered hybrid-remote working and all NAG teams operate in this fashion with someone’s personal preference not an impediment.
The desired individual will have many of the following characteristics:
- Substantial and in-depth knowledge of mathematical optimization algorithms (for problems such as LP, MILP, NLP, etc.)
- Good knowledge on models in operations research, especially in combinatorial optimization, such as scheduling, network flow, VRP and TSP.
- Experience with applications in energy, engineering, or other relevant industries. Ability to design and develop bespoke models and algorithms for optimization models therein.
- Experience in developing software either in high-level languages such as C/C++ or Fortran, or scripting languages such as Python.
- Advanced degree (M.Sc. or Ph.D.) in numerical analysis or similar.
- Ability to quickly absorb new information.
- A desire to apply skills in code development to a commercial environment.
- An aptitude for helping practitioners to solve difficult problems efficiently.
Culture and Benefits
We are a collaborative and friendly group of people and offer a flexible, agile style of working. We provide a host of benefits including a competitive salary (dependent on experience), private health care (we cover the tax on your premium too!), 30 days annual leave (with the option to buy or sell up to 5 days) and a generous pension scheme to which we contribute over 20% of your salary. Our structure means that we get to know each employee as an individual and the contribution their work brings to our organisational successes, allowing us to recognise and reward our rising stars as well as supporting their career development and progression.
Please provide a CV; cover letter is optional to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We believe that a diverse workforce helps us develop innovative products and services. To enable this, we operate a blind recruitment process and all information with the potential to introduce conscious or unconscious bias will be redacted during the shortlisting process.
NAG provides industry-leading numerical software and technical services to banking and finance, energy, engineering, and market research, as well as academic and government institutions. World renowned for the NAG® Library - the most rigorous and robust collection of numerical algorithms available - NAG also offers Automatic Differentiation, Machine Learning, and Mathematical Optimization products, as well as world-class technical consultancy across HPC and Cloud HPC, code porting and optimization, and other areas of numerical computing. Founded more than 50 years ago from a multi-university venture, NAG is headquartered in Oxford, UK with offices in the UK, US, EU, and Asia.