Are you a creative leader that can bring the best out of technical teams? A “multiplier” that can optimise highly intelligent engineers by having them work together, challenge them, encouraging debate, and learning from them while leading? Do you have a background in numerical software and the passion required to simultaneously lead the development of both long-established and next-generation products?
If you are interested in working for a long-successful company that feels like a start-up, NAG could be the company for you! Founded over 50 years ago, we are now transforming and growing, and looking for a creative, motivational Numerical Software Manager to help drive that change.
The successful applicant will:
- Lead, motivate and guide NAG’s software development organisation
- Help the engineering team make decisions on what to build, and how to tune that to the market
- Optimize the flow of value in the product development cycle from client needs to product delivery
- Evolve and improve NAG’s product development processes and systems to maintain NAG’s world-renowned robustness while improving efficiencies and maintainability
- Advise and mentor the development of Engineers of all seniority levels
- Engage with the key stakeholders in the product delivery cycle, such as Product Management, Sales and Executives
- Recruit quality engineers to help with NAG’s ambitious growth plans
- Lead some of NAG’s many collaborations with academics and industry experts
NAG has flexible working with location and work hours suited to the employee and their team. If you prefer working around colleagues, we have an office in central Oxford. Otherwise, you can be one of our many staff that prefer working from their own home. We have mastered hybrid-remote working and all NAG teams operate in this fashion with someone’s personal preference not an impediment.
Who are we looking for?
Candidates will possess all of the following essential traits:
- At least 10 years’ experience developing scientific software of some kind
- At least 5 years’ experience working in one of the following fields: mathematical optimization, linear algebra, statistics, numerical algorithms, machine learning or HPC
- A proven track record in growing, building and training technical teams
- Experience managing remote teams distributed across multiple locations and countries
Ideal candidates will also possess some of the following traits:
- Experience managing strategic and technical collaborations/partnerships
- Evidenced ability to motivate a diverse technical team towards achieving common and individual goals.
- Experience with some form of operational optimisation, such as Continuous Delivery, DevOps, Making Work Visible, Lean Software Development
- Seeing the development of engineers as primary and developing a customised progression through the technical career path for each member of the team
- Ability to express ideas and communicate effectively with team members, customers and suppliers from various cultures and origins
- A team player with the ability to collaborate constructively and to add to the positive energy of the team
- Experience in managing diverse teams. (Diversity in expertise as well as in age, cultural background, etc.)
If you think you have what it takes to continuously learn and grow with us, then please apply! We want to talk to you.
Culture and Benefits
We are a collaborative and friendly group of people who offer a flexible, agile style of working. We provide a host of benefits including a competitive salary (dependent on experience), private health care (we cover the tax on your premium too!), 30 days annual leave (with the option to buy or sell up to 5 days) and a generous pension scheme to which we contribute over 20% of your salary. Our structure means that we get to know each employee as an individual and the contribution their work brings to our organisational successes, allowing us to recognise and reward our rising stars as well as supporting their career development.
Please provide a CV; cover letter is optional to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We believe that a diverse workforce helps us develop innovative products and services. To enable this, we operate a blind recruitment process and all information with the potential to introduce conscious or unconscious bias will be redacted during the shortlisting process.
NAG provides industry-leading numerical software and technical services to banking and finance, energy, engineering, and market research, as well as academic and government institutions. World renowned for the NAG® Library - the most rigorous and robust collection of numerical algorithms available - NAG also offers Automatic Differentiation, Machine Learning, and Mathematical Optimization products, as well as world-class technical consultancy across HPC and Cloud HPC, code porting and optimization, and other areas of numerical computing. Founded more than 50 years ago from a multi-university venture, NAG is headquartered in Oxford, UK with offices in the UK, US, EU, and Asia.